Oct 20, 2011

Sparkle and Shine for the Holidays

Hey vintage lovers! It's been a while, but I have been so very busy! Today, I am blogging about vintage jewelry - you know the kind - all sparkly with rhinestones and glass beads? I just listed a ton of it in my Etsy shop, VintageOnTheRidge, this week, and it got me thinking (this time it's a good thing!) . . . if we supported the vintage sellers online by buying vintage sparkly jewelry for our holiday outfits this year, we would really help some folks out. There are so many of us trying to make a living and pay bills by selling vintage and upcycled vintage jewelry; this isn't a side job or a fun hobby for many people - it is part of the only job they have. So think about perusing all the beautiful vintage pieces at Etsy and other online vintage marketplaces that you frequent. I have no doubt that you can find the perfect holiday jewelry, at a great price, and help another family have a wonderful Christmas at the same time.
The same goes for Handmade gifts over store-bought ones, too. Wouldn't it be nice to give one-of-a-kind gifts to the ones you love?

Vintage jewelry runs the gamut from primitive to ultra-sophisticated, from Victorian and Art Deco to Mid-Century Modern. Many pieces are from companies that are no longer in business and with the value of gold and silver these days, buying vintage can even be an investment. And you would not believe what some artisans are doing with broken bits and pieces of old jewelry - their newly-made creations are just stunning! I tried my hand at upcycling some antique jewelry pieces into new, fun and funky necklaces like this one:

It was fun, but also frustrating and perplexing at times. I am not a jewelry designer, my workshop is not equipped or stocked well enough to do many pieces, and I have decided that I really don't want to pursue this avenue of creating. The few pieces I made were enough to put that into perspective. As Forest Gump said, "That's good. One less thing!" Still I had so many broken pieces and wonderful odds and ends, as well as nice vintage pieces, I decided it would be best to list them in my Etsy shop and let the real designers have them, so that's what I've done for several days now. I still have some things left to take photos of and get listed, but most of the really good rhinestone, glass, and other pieces are available now. Take a look at this awesome Art Deco necklace in black and white glass - it is stupendous!

And these sparkling Nouveau dress clips in pave-set and channel-set rhinestones would make an awesome necklace focal or even - well, dress clips! Why did women stop wearing dress clips anyway? And shoe clips? I think antique shoe clips are a great way to dress up a pair of plain shoes for a more dressy occasion. Have we missed the versatility boat that vintage fashion once had? Let's bring it back!


I look in the department stores and all the costume jewelry begins to look alike -- or it seems so cheaply made. Let's shop vintage for our holiday jewelry this year! Are you with me? Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for being here and reading along . . . I know you have something to say and I welcome your comments. Add your experiences, knowledge, or tips for myreaders -- this blog is really all about you and what you want to read, so add to the buzz about antiques and vintage.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...